The Financial proposal should be sent separately in a PDF format, and it shall be password-protected. However, the password shall be submitted by the Consultant to the ACERWC upon request and after concluding the evaluation of CVs.
- Application deadline
Qualified candidates should send their applications comprising an abridged resume (no more than three pages), a technical and financial proposal, and a sample tool created previously on children’s rights, if any, to [email protected]. The Deadline for submission is 18 October 2023 at 17:00 hours South African Time. Late applications will not be considered.
INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANCY SERVICES
FOR MAINTENANCE OF THE WEBSITE AND UNDERTAKING COMMUNICATION ACTIVITIES FOR THE ACERWC
The African Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACERWC/Committee) is a treaty body established to monitor the implementation of the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child. To monitor the implementation of the Charter, the Committee is tasked with various mandates and functions such as consideration of State Party Reports and Communications, undertaking country visits, developing various documents such as General Comments, Guidelines, Resolutions, Research, and other reports. The Committee to deliver its mandates convenes two ordinary sessions annually and may hold an extra-ordinary session.
While the Committee undertakes enormous activities for the protection and promotion of children’s rights, these works and activities need to be visible to Member States, Children, and other actors such as CSOs, NHRIs and academia. Enhanced visibility of the work of the Committee increases the impact of its activities. The main platform where the Committee publicizes its activities, including sessions and other events, as well as its documents, is through its website. The documents of the Committee, which are produced following the execution of its various mandates, are publicly available on the website. It is, therefore, imperative to have an updated and interactive website to increase the visibility of the Committee and its activities. Moreover, the Committee uses social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube to popularize its work.
To effectively utilize these platforms, the Committee recognizes the importance of continuous update of the website as well as the creation of reader-friendly content for all the platforms. Moreover, the various outcome documents emanating from the mandate of the Committee have to be formatted and disseminated to increase visibility. Therefore, the Committee would like to recruit a consultant to maintain the website and undertake communication activities for the functions of the Committee.
The main objectives of the Consultancy include:
- enhancing the visibility of the Committee among various actors and children;
- ensuring that the website of the Committee and its various social media platforms are updated
- increasing the publicity of the activities of the Committee, such as its Sessions, Country Visits, Workshops, Events, and Documents produced
- ensuring that the activities and documents of the Committee are presented in a reader/viewer-friendly manner
- diversifying the tools used to popularize activities through creative content and platforms
- Scope of the Consultancy
The communication materials and contents should reach various stakeholders, which include Children, policymakers, Governments, CSOs, researchers, and partner organizations who are working on children’s rights. The task should give insight into the work of the Committee in promoting children’s rights and welfare in Africa and reach children and other stakeholders and hence prepared in a manner fit for everyone.
- Reporting and deliverables
The Consultant is expected to undertake the Project by collaborating with the Committee to identify priority areas of focus, considering the pending activities of the Committee in 2023. The task will be supervised under the leadership of the Secretariat of the Committee.
The following are the main deliverables:
- Updated website with up-to-date features and documents
- Servicing the 42nd Ordinary Session of the Committee
- Formatting and publishing pending documents of the Committee
- Creating video and photo content for the activities of the Committee
- Qualifications and experience
The Consultant who will be recruited for this task must have the following qualifications and experience:
- University degree in Computer Science, Media, Communication and related fields;
- At least 5 years of experience working directly on children-related media outlets, Broadcast agencies, and Audio-visual companies;
- Demonstrated professional experience on matters related to child protection, reporting on child rights issues, and research and writing experience on related issues;
- Demonstrated good knowledge of the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child and the work of the African Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child
- Work experience in the AU, or other international organizations, especially in treaty body mechanisms;
- Ability to work independently and achieve quality results with limited supervision.
- Dates and location
The Consultancy is home-based with possible travels when needed by the Committee, for 20 payable working days from October to December 2023.
- Consultancy fee
The Consultant will be paid a fixed fee of USD 6,000 (Six Thousand USD) for the assignment. The payment will be effected in accordance with the various deliverables as indicated above, and is inclusive of all costs and profits as well as tax obligations that may be imposed on the Consultant.
- Reporting Lines
The Consultant will work under the direct supervision and guidance of the Executive Secretary of the Committee
The Committee invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing the consultancy services. Interested candidates must provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience.
The application document should consist of the following:
- A cover letter summarizing the background of the applicant and with names and contacts of three references;
- A Customized Curriculum Vitae not exceeding three pages;
- A Technical Proposal on:
- Understanding and interpretation of the TOR;
- Work plan and
- Time and activity schedule
- A Financial Proposal on :
- Consultant’s Professional Fees in US$8
- AU rates will be applicable where necessary on travel and Daily Subsistence Allowance.
- Evidence of educational background and professional experience;